2011 GLOBAL SPOTLIGHT CAMPAIGN - THE WOMEN AND GIRLS OF HAITI
Each year V-Day increases awareness by focusing on a specific group of women in the world who are resisting violence with courage and vision. In 2011, V-Day's Spotlight Campaign will be on the Women and Girls of Haiti. The Spotlight will highlight the high levels of violence against women and girls in Haiti, and will focus on the increased rates of sexual violence since the devastating earthquake that took place in January 2010. All funds raised through the Spotlight Campaign will be used to support a revolutionary national campaign in Haiti lead by a coalition of women activists - including longtime V-Day activist Elvire Eugene - that will address sexual violence through art, advocacy, safe shelter and legal services.
WHAT IS VDAY?
VDay is a global movement to end violence against women and girls by raising funds and awareness through benefit productions of playwright and founder Eve Ensler’s award winning play, The Vagina Monologues and other artistic works.
In 2009, VDay Santa Monica, held at the incomparable Eli and Edythe Broad Stage, was an immense success with sold-out performances by such renowned entertainers as Calista Flockhart, Christine Lahti, Doris Roberts, Rosario Dawson, and Fairuza Balk.
One hundred percent of proceeds raised at VDay Santa Monica benefit the Peace Over Violence foundation and the Global VDay Spotlight for 2011 - Haiti.
- an organized response against violence toward women.
- a vision; we see a world where women live safely and freely.
- a demand; rape, incest, battery, genital mutilation and sexual slavery must end now.
- a spirit; we believe women should spend their lives creating and thriving rather than surviving and recovering from terrible atrocities.
- a process; we will work as long as it takes. We will not stop until the violence stops.
- a day to celebrate women and end the violence.
- a fierce, wild, unstoppable movement and community. Join us!